How to get system issues attended to fast
It is important that you get enough information to the help desk to help them resolve the issue. More information can be conveyed in writing and technicians get more done if they stay off the phone.
Submit the issue on-line
By submitting issues in an on-line tracker, all of the Bika technical team are informed immediately and its resolution can be coordinated and scheduled without delay - it remains the most effective way to manage issue resolution.
Please log issues and feature requests in the Bika issue tracker.
Issue prioritisation is billable
Clients on Maintenance Contracts will have their issues prioritised and managed to resolution. These agreements are reached between individual Bika service providers and their customers. We recommend any of the certified professionals listed on the Bika Support and Services page.
We currently use formidable Jira and if you install highly recommended Jira Capture in your browser, screenshots can be captured and annotated without breaking stride.
Jira Capture video
One issue per tracker item
To make it easier to manage issues to resolution, please submit only one issue per tracker item
Meaningful subject line
Please give issues meaningful titles to make it easier to find them on list displays, email folders and using search functions on-line
Bika uses a Jira Epic per project, and Sprints for, well, coding or documentation Sprints. When users log issues, please select the appropriate issue type:
Support - how to questions etc.
All of the above will be attended to depending on the type of Maintenance and Support contract you have. We recommend Certified Bika Professionals. Improvements and Features are normally bigger and quoted on individually.
In the issue's comment field, provide answers to:
1. What did you try to do? Where in the system were you and what action caused the error
NB. Please copy the web address from the browser and include in the issue
2. What user authorisation did you use? E.g. lab clerk, analyst or lab manager?
3. What did you expect to happen?
4. What happened?
5. Any error messages? If the system produced an error message, or trace back, please try to copy the text and past it into your email or tracker submission. Attach screen shots if necessary. In follow-up, support technicians might also request copies of your server log
http://pastie.org/ is easy for pasting and posting long texts
Maintain the issue resolution work-flow
We moved the Bika tracker from Github to Jira, please see http://jira.bikalabs.com/
1. When a user posts an item to the tracker, it is created with status 'Open' in the tracker
2. Managers will assign the issue to a technician and he/she changes its status to 'In Progress' when starting on it
3. And 'Resolve' it when done
4. This is the submitter's signal, per email, to re-test the issue. If it persists, comment and Re-Open' it
5. If and when tested successfully, please change it status to 'Closed', watch it disappear from the list and experience a few moments of feel good